Thursday, March 1, 2012

An Ornithological post....

Since not much has been going on lately for me, just school and the occasional trip into Dubai for dinner on the weekends, I decided to do a little blog post about my fellow avian countrymen here in the UAE!

I have been amazed since coming here at the variety of birds I see everyday just on campus. I swear, I discover a new one almost every week that I haven't seen before! Three of my favorites that I see around campus are...

Rose-ringed Parakeet. (not my photo) I only ever see these guys high up hanging out on the outside of the Library Building. I could never get a proper picture of them, so I had to steal one from the internet!

This little guy is by far my favorite, the Eurasian Hoopoe (not my picture). I have only seen one twice, but he is absolutely gorgeous! They can put their little crowns either up or down, so precious!!!

There is another bird on campus that I couldn't find on the internet but that I like that looks a little like a Magpie.

Here are some lovely birds that you can see here OFF campus!

ME! With a Falcon! This was a store that sold falcons in the Animal Souq. So precious!

Flamingoes at the end of the Dubai Creek right outside of Dubai. Not as colorful as you would assume flamingoes to be, but still lovely! Right now their number are healthy, but their wetland habitat is in danger of being developed!

All for now! I am going to Oman for the weekend next weekend, so I will have blogs with more substance very soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment