Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Happy International Women's Day!!!

Ok, so its actually on Thursday, but we had a celebration in the Women's Dorms today in honor of women of the world!

Many girls gave speeches about the history and achievements women in their countries. My friend, Kayla, and I also gave a short speech about the history of women in the United States. We were upstaged momentarily by two toddlers (brother and sister) who walked in front of us hand in hand. Then the little girl  bit her brother on the hand! The ladies laughed and said "in the true spirit of Women's Day!". The poor little boy didn't know what hit him and stared at his hand and yelled for his mom! It was too cute!

After presentations they had some performances including a girl doing some belly dancing and a singer. I took a video of the singer, which is below! Sorry about the format! I forgot I can hold the camera vertically when taking a video!!!

Next came the food! We had delicious Arabian style BBQ. Yummy!

One weird thing is the buffet manners in this country! While in the United States, at a buffet we queue up and wait to go through the line. Here, everyone rushes to the table in no order and just starts grabbing food. Complete chaos. I was tempted to yell out "We are not monkeys here! We are humans! Let's show a little civility!". Instead I just decided to try and get my food as fast as I could and get out of there! After dinner the played music and some ladies danced including what I can only describe as an arabian line dance. Below is a short video!


Thanks for reading! I am going to Oman for the weekend, so I will hopefully have some very interesting blogs coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment