Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Thoughts on Culture

Contrary to what you may believe, I personally find that the average young Arab man is more chivalrous than an average young American man.

When going about my daily business in the US, I am honestly more often surprised than expectant when a guy my age holds open a door for me. I guess I just never really noticed how often this didn't happen until I came here. In the UAE, if a man sees you to go through the same door as he, he will, I would say over 90% of the time, will stop and hold the door for you. If there is a guy on the other side at the same time, he will open it for you and wait (or if, likely, the door has already been opened by another man, he will step aside to allow you to go first). This ALWAYS seams to happen. It's just the little things, like an old man jumping out of my way while I was walking to the exit, extending his hand and saying "tafaDal"(meaning similar to, "if you please" or "excuse me"). I could have walked around him and he could have ignored me and I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but I was so surprised at the respect he showed me. (something like this also happened last night, with a much younger man at a cafe) These men didn't work at the establishments I was in, they were just customers like myself.

The 'Ladies First' attitude is alive in well in this country wherever you go. Whether it be to walk through a door, sit at a table, get on a train, and most all situations. I feel that this concept is dying with the new generations in the US. Whatever happened to the days when men would stand when a lady came to sit at the table?

Another example that I have personally experienced is when on the Metro.We hoped on and all the seats were full, so my friends and I grabbed on to the poles. Then I noticed a young Arab man waving for my attention. When I looked at him, he stood up and offered his seat to me. I declined at first, but he insisted, moving away from his chair and grabbing on to a pole. So I went to go sit down. I originally thought he just gave me his seat because he was probably going to get off at the next stop. Well, he stood and didn't get off for around 6 or 7 stops (about 15 minutes).

This may seam like something really small, but I bet most women don't expect to be treated this way when coming to an Arab country.

And American men, please don't get me wrong, I love you guys and there are many that are chivalrous and respectful towards women, by I feel that you can't argue against the fact that Chivalry is on the decline in the US with the new generations.

----------------

Thats all for now!
Will post hopefully later tonight about my latest trips into Sharjah!

No comments:

Post a Comment